Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I get tired of just heating up frozen corn to serve as a side dish, and my kids aren't big fans of corn-style casseroles. Trying to be more creative, I tried this a few years ago and everyone loved it. Just something different than the same old, same old corn. Very simple to prepare. The measurements of peppers and onions are approximate, I never measure, I just put in what looks about right.
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen corn in butter sauce or 1 (24 ounce) packageregular frozen corn, about 4 cups
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped (put in amount to taste, I usually just use one medium-sized pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped (put in amount to taste, I usually use about 1/4 of one large onion)
- cooking spray (or 1-2 pats butter)
- 2 tablespoons butter, if using regular frozen corn (or more) (optional)
- If using frozen corn in butter sauce, put in large sauce pan and heat per directions on package.
- If using regular frozen corn, prepare per directions.
- Spray pan with cooking spray, or melt pats of butter, if preferred. Place pan over medium heat.
- Begin to cook green peppers, moving frequently, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add onions to green peppers, and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes, moving frequently.
- If using frozen corn in butter sauce, once all the butter chips are melted, add peppers/onions and mix well.
- If using regular frozen corn, drain, then mix in peppers/onions. Add butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Sometimes I make this using red pepper instead of green, and at Christmastime I use both red and green peppers for spectacular color.
- Since package sizes vary, adjust the amount of peppers/onions you use depending on what size package of corn you have, or if you don't use the whole package.
- The cooking time varies, depending on which type of corn you use. The frozen corn in butter sauce variety takes longer to heat.
Nice little change from the norm. I halved the recipe, used frozen corn, butter and used green pepper. Made for My 3 Chefs and Slide into Sides Photo Event. :)