Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 4 mins
Refreshing summer salad, with savory bacon. I like to serve this on top of sliced tomatoes. (A small dollop of sour cream or yogurt, or a few crumbles of goat cheese may be placed on the same dish as salad, if desired.) This is a recipe of my family.
- 6 medium cucumbers (peel if desired)
- 2 small sweet onions
- 14.79 ml sea salt
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 1 lemons or 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar
- 59.14 ml canola oil (may use olive oil if eating all in same day)
- 14.79 ml dill (more if using fresh dill)
- 6 piece bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1. Cook bacon while slicing the cucumbers and onions into thin slices. Drain bacon, and set aside. Combine cucumbers with the onions in a large bowl. Toss while sprinkling with sea salt. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to rest. While resting, prepare dressing.
- 2. In another bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, apple-cider vinegar and canola oil (or olive oil) to make dressing . Mix well.
- 3. Drain off any liquid that may have come off cucumbers and onions while resting. Add the dill and dressing to the cucumbers and onions, and toss gently. Let the salad rest at room temperature for about an hour to absorb flavors. You may chill if using canola oil (Olive oil does not chill well).
- 4. Before serving, toss, again, gently, and sprinkle with cooked, crumbled bacon.