1 hr 54 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Refreshing summer salad, with savory bacon. I like to serve this on top of sliced tomatoes. (A small dollop of sour cream or yogurt, or a few crumbles of goat cheese may be placed on the same dish as salad, if desired.) This is a recipe of my family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium cucumbers (peel if desired)
- 2 small sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lemons or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil (may use olive oil if eating all in same day)
- 1 tablespoon dill (more if using fresh dill)
- 6 pieces bacon, fried and crumbled
- 11. Cook bacon while slicing the cucumbers and onions into thin slices. Drain bacon, and set aside. Combine cucumbers with the onions in a large bowl. Toss while sprinkling with sea salt. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to rest. While resting, prepare dressing.
- 22. In another bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, apple-cider vinegar and canola oil (or olive oil) to make dressing . Mix well.
- 33. Drain off any liquid that may have come off cucumbers and onions while resting. Add the dill and dressing to the cucumbers and onions, and toss gently. Let the salad rest at room temperature for about an hour to absorb flavors. You may chill if using canola oil (Olive oil does not chill well).
- 44. Before serving, toss, again, gently, and sprinkle with cooked, crumbled bacon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gurkensalat With Bacon (Cucumber Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.3
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 4.0 mg
- Sodium 927.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g