Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pair with Karottesalat (Carrot Salad) and you'll have a very attractive, and authentic, salad plate!
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 2 tablespoons parsley
- Peel cucumbers (if waxed) and cut into very thin slices.
- Mix together vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper and pour over cucumbers and onions (reserving 2 tablespoons).
- Marinate about 20 minutes.
- Mix dill or parsley with sour cream.
- Add sour cream to cucumber mixture and toss.
- Top with chopped onion, sprig of fresh dill or parsley and serve.
I really enjoyed the melding of the flavors of this salad. Nice and fresh to counterbalance the rather heavy taste of meats enjoyed in German cuisine.
We very much enjoyed this salad, and I will definitely be making this again. I chose it for ZWT6, as I felt that it really represented German-style cooking. Thank you for sharing the recipe.