Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is from the Salimi Restaurant, Tel Aviv, Israel.,
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 lb chicken wings
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium onions (2 roughly chopped, 1 minced)
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in an 8 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Season wings with salt and pepper; cook, turning once, until browned, about 13 minutes. Add roughly chopped onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaf, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until slightly reduced, about 25 minutes. Strain broth, discard solids, and return broth to pan.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced onion; cook until soft, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix with remaining ingredients.
- Using wet hands, divide mixture into six 3 inch balls. Bring broth to a simmer; add meatballs. Cook, partially covered, until cooked through, about 17 minutes.
- To serve, divide broth and meatballs among 6 bowls.