Recipe by Sangeetha
This is also known as Idli Mulagapodi. This is a traditional south indian condiment served with idlis and dosas. Mix with little oil, preferably sesame oil, and serve alongside idlis. There are many versions of course, and this is the way made in my home.
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1 cup channa dal
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried red chilies (increase according to heat tolerance)
- 1⁄2 cup black sesame seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tamarind extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Please do not use white sesame seeds as that changes the flavor altogether.
- Dry roast each ingredient separately in a hot pan without oil till well roasted and a nice smell emanates.
- Take care not to burn the ingredients.
- Cool and powder. Add salt finally.