Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup gumdrop (I cut small gumdrops into 8 pieces)
- 1 1⁄3 cups oatmeal
- Cream together sugars and shortening.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients and add with coconut, oatmeal and cut-up gumdrops.
- Mix well.
- Drop by small spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees 8-10 min.
- Remove from pan right away and cool on rack.
My husband loves these cookies and they make a pretty display on a platter. Thanks for sharing!
These cookies remind me of my childhood. The recipe we've used calls for only 2 eggs rather than 3, and uses 2 cups of oats.
Everybody should try these at least once. Every time, I make them, I get compliments. I use 2 cups of quick oats for this recipe. When my grandma used to make them, she liked to use orange slice candy instead of gumdrops. They were a favorite of all of us kids, young and old. It makes a lot of cookies. Be sure to use small spoonfuls because these cookies spread out a lot. I bake them on parchment paper.