Recipe by CanaryLady
A neighbor's sister used to make these cookies when I was growing up.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This is the very same recipe for Gumdrop Cookies that my mom used to make when I was growing up. These cookies are SO good. One word of caution to others though---don't include black licorice gumdrops because they can color the cookie dough a very unappealing deep green color. The cookie will taste just fine, but they just don't look all that appealing.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gumdrop, snipped in small pieces
- 1 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Cream shortening, add sugar & cream well.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Sift dry ingredients together & add to creamed mixture alternating with beaten eggs.
- Add coconut, gumdrops, and oatmeal. Mix these well with a wooden spoon or by hand.
- Shape into balls, place onto cookie sheet and press with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.