Recipe by Dienia B.
kossman old cookie recipe bar with orange icing
Top Review by Karyl Lee
The directions are clear, although maybe lacking by contemporary terms.
You'll need to have plenty of room in the bowl you beat the eggs in, and the sugar and butter mixture won't look as creamed as you'd expect, since there is so little butter.
The batter won't readily fill that size pan,so you'll need to spread it out with a spatula. It did bake in the time length mentioned, might have been even better at 22 minutes. I waited for it to cool for 10 minutes on a rack before I frosted the tops. Cut it only when quite cool.
I am very happy to have a recipe so similar to what my grandmother made and that was only given to us at Christmas!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups gumdrops
- 2⁄3 cup nuts
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- cream butter and sugar together. it wont look creamy because of the sugar to butter ratio.
- beat eggs until light and lemon colored.
- blend with water into creamed mixture.
- sift dry ingredients together.
- stir into sugar mixture.
- fold in cut up or mini gumdrops and chopped nuts.
- pour into greased 15x10x1 jelly roll pan. and spread with a spatula
- bake in moderate oven 350 degrees for 22 minutes.
- when cooled
- frost with orange icing.
- combine all ingredents.
- beat til smooth.