Recipe by cuisinebymae
I don't use baking gums for this. Those things are horrid. If you wouldn't eat them right out of the bag, don't bake with them. Don't use any black ones. Ganong are the best-they don't make black ones. The easiest way to cut them is with scissors dipped in flour.
Top Review by wendymitchell16
This gumdrop cake is excellent. I used the small baking gums and the cake turned out perfect. I have used the regular gumdrops in the past and have cut them up into as small of pieces that I can get and sprinkle them with flour and they still sink to the bottom of the cake. Very frustrating. The small baking gums do not sink. Excellent recipe.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb gumdrop (no black ones)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and shortening together.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut up the gumdrops into the flour mixture and stir to coat them with the flour.
- Add vanilla and lemon extracts to milk.
- Fold dry ingredients into batter alternately with milk mixture.
- (3 dry and 2 milk additions, starting and ending with dry).
- Spoon batter into greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake at 300F for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until done.