Recipe by andypandy
This recipe was given to me in 1975 by a co-workers wife. I have been making it a very long time, each Christmas. As far as I know this was a Christmas Fruitcake recipe originally .
- 4 lbs golden raisins or 4 lbs dark raisins
- 6 lbs coloured candy sugared gumdrops
- 1 lb Crisco shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 12 large eggs (seperated)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop fruit, gumdrops.
- Yes even the black ones they give an anise flavour.
- Sift flour, baking soda.
- Pour one cup over the chopped gumdrops and raisins.
- Cream crisco, sugar, and egg yolks, well.
- Mix liquid alternating with the dry ingredients.
- Add the gumdrop mixture.
- Beat the egg white until stiff.
- Fold egg whites beaten into the cake batter.
- Line 6 loaf pans with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 2 1/2 hours- 3 hours at 275 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Rewrap cooled cakes in the same foil from the pans then double wrap in saran wrap.
- When left for two weeks, foil will come away very easy.
- Note glazed cherries may be used as part of the raisins or gumdrops.
- But a total of 10 pounds fruit should be used.