Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was given to me in 1975 by a co-workers wife. I have been making it a very long time, each Christmas. As far as I know this was a Christmas Fruitcake recipe originally .
- 4 lbs golden raisins or 4 lbs dark raisins
- 6 lbs coloured candy sugared gumdrops
- 1 lb Crisco shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 12 large eggs (seperated)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Chop fruit, gumdrops.
- Yes even the black ones they give an anise flavour.
- Sift flour, baking soda.
- Pour one cup over the chopped gumdrops and raisins.
- Cream crisco, sugar, and egg yolks, well.
- Mix liquid alternating with the dry ingredients.
- Add the gumdrop mixture.
- Beat the egg white until stiff.
- Fold egg whites beaten into the cake batter.
- Line 6 loaf pans with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 2 1/2 hours- 3 hours at 275 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Rewrap cooled cakes in the same foil from the pans then double wrap in saran wrap.
- When left for two weeks, foil will come away very easy.
- Note glazed cherries may be used as part of the raisins or gumdrops.
- But a total of 10 pounds fruit should be used.
Gumdrop Cake: this is the best fruit cake. My mother made this over 60 years ago. This is for people who like or do not like fruit cake. Try it and you will see