My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs mixed greens (such as collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, beet, carrot or radish tops, spinach, green c)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 green pepper, cored,seeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lb smoked ham, cut into chunks
- 1/2 lb garlic sausage or 1/2 lb andouille sausage, cut into chunks
- 1Wash the greens thoroughly and drain.
- 2Chop them coarsely, discarding any tough center stems.
- 3Put the greens in a large kettle with 1 cup cold water (do this in batches if necessary).
- 4Cover, bring to a boil and cook until the greens are wilted (5 to 15 minutes) depending on type of greens being used.
- 5Drain, reserving the liquid.
- 6Add enough water to the liquid to yield 1-1/2 quarts.
- 7Heat the fat or oil in a heavy pot, add the flour and cook, stirring, about 15 to 20 minutes or until the roux is medium brown (the color of peanut butter).
- 8Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- 9Stir in the measured liquid with the bay leaf, thyme, salt, peppers and cayenne to taste.
- 10Add the greens, ham and sausage and mix well.
- 11Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 12Discard the bay leaf, and taste and adjust the seasoning before serving, over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo Z'Herbes
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.0 mg
- Sodium 1564.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: