My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs mixed greens (such as collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, beet, carrot or radish tops, spinach, green c)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 green pepper, cored,seeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lb smoked ham, cut into chunks
- 1/2 lb garlic sausage or 1/2 lb andouille sausage, cut into chunks
- 1Wash the greens thoroughly and drain.
- 2Chop them coarsely, discarding any tough center stems.
- 3Put the greens in a large kettle with 1 cup cold water (do this in batches if necessary).
- 4Cover, bring to a boil and cook until the greens are wilted (5 to 15 minutes) depending on type of greens being used.
- 5Drain, reserving the liquid.
- 6Add enough water to the liquid to yield 1-1/2 quarts.
- 7Heat the fat or oil in a heavy pot, add the flour and cook, stirring, about 15 to 20 minutes or until the roux is medium brown (the color of peanut butter).
- 8Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- 9Stir in the measured liquid with the bay leaf, thyme, salt, peppers and cayenne to taste.
- 10Add the greens, ham and sausage and mix well.
- 11Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 12Discard the bay leaf, and taste and adjust the seasoning before serving, over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo Z'Herbes
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 39.0 mg
- Sodium 1564.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: