Cooked leftover chicken can be tossed into this gumbo and simmered with tomatoes, mushrooms, chile peppers, a little of this and a little of that. Delicious chicken gumbo consistency with tomato base. Makes plenty to last for several days. Serve over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with filet powder, if desired.
- 59.14 ml oil (for frying)
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml cooked chopped chicken breasts
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 127.57 g can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml white sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 0.75 ml hot sauce
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture is the color of a copper penny.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in bell pepper and onion.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, tomatoes with green chile peppers, mushrooms, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Stir together, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.