Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
This is a recipe based off of the last time I made gumbo. It was OUTSTANDING! I made it for a large group of friends and everyone enjoyed it. This is my attempt at writing it down for future reference!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 12 cups water
- 12 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 whole chicken (cut up)
- 4 andouille sausages, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 lb okra, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 5 hours before you plan to serve the gumbo, begin making the roux.
- Combine flour and oil in a skillet and heat on medium low. Stir frequently!
- Combine the rest of the ingredients except for the shrimp and okra in a large pot. Chicken bones and all (this will add great flavor)!
- Heat on medium for 4 hours stirring occasionally.
- After 4 hours, add the shrimp and okra and begin removing chicken bones as you find them.
- Once the roux has reached a nice, dark brown color (this should take about 4 or 5 hours when done correctly), add it to the soup mixture.
- Be careful! It will sizzle and pop.
- In about 1 more hour, the shrimp should be fully thawed and cooked without adding a strong shrimpy flavor to the gumbo.
- Serve over rice. Warn your guests about the potential threat of chicken bones! ;).