1/1 Photo of Gumbo Feast Gumbo
This is a recipe based off of the last time I made gumbo. It was OUTSTANDING! I made it for a large group of friends and everyone enjoyed it. This is my attempt at writing it down for future reference!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 hours before you plan to serve the gumbo, begin making the roux.
- 2Combine flour and oil in a skillet and heat on medium low. Stir frequently!
- 3Combine the rest of the ingredients except for the shrimp and okra in a large pot. Chicken bones and all (this will add great flavor)!
- 4Heat on medium for 4 hours stirring occasionally.
- 5After 4 hours, add the shrimp and okra and begin removing chicken bones as you find them.
- 6Once the roux has reached a nice, dark brown color (this should take about 4 or 5 hours when done correctly), add it to the soup mixture.
- 7Be careful! It will sizzle and pop.
- 8In about 1 more hour, the shrimp should be fully thawed and cooked without adding a strong shrimpy flavor to the gumbo.
- 9Serve over rice. Warn your guests about the potential threat of chicken bones! ;).
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo Feast Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.2
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 1023.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: