Saw this on Paula's show. It is excellent!
Make and share this Gumbo by Paula Deen recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 73.94 ml margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 59.14 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 946.36 ml hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 396.89 g can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 473.18 ml sliced frozen okra
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 226.79 g small shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.