Saw this on Paula's show. It is excellent!
Make and share this Gumbo by Paula Deen recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 4 cups hot water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups sliced frozen okra
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 1⁄2 lb small shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.
The whole family enjoyed this so much. I didn't have okra and had chicken already cooked. This was wonderful and I'll be using it in the future, thank you!
What an amazingly rich and savory flavor. I made it exactly according to the recipe but I don't think the roux was a necessary step. I served the bottle of hot sauce at the table so each person could suit their own heat level. Everyone else ate it with rice and raved about it. I, being diabetic, skipped the rice and raved about it. Very satisfying!
This was so good!!! My husband and I like everything super spicy so all we did was add 2 serranos and 2 jalapenos. We will be making this again!!!