Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Ultimate Gullah, cookbook.
- 1 lb turkey neck, smoked (or neckbones)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, green (chopped, cored and seeded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, whole (or 8 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kernel corn
- 2 cups okra, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch slices (beef or pork)
- 1 lb crabmeat (optional)
- 12 oysters (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning (Gullah Luv)
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- Place smoked meats and bay leaves in a large pot. Add 2 c water and cover. Simmr for 1 hour. When meat is done, make brown gravy.
- Place bacon dripping in skillet. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat. Keep stirring until flour is dark brown. Add 1/2 c water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- Next, sautee sausage, okra, onion, celery, scallions, bell pepper, corn and garlic in skillet. Combine everything toether in the meat pot. Add tomatoes and worcestershie sauce. Add crabmeat, shrimp and oysters if desired. Stir, coer and cook togethr for 20 minutes. Remove from. Keep covered until ready to serve.