Recipe by Kay D.
One of the many many items that went into the making of my daughter's first birthday cake; this is a great medium for the decorations. It is edible, but you'll probably chip a tooth if you try. PLEASE NOTE: You will also need 1 Tbs Gum-tex or 1 Tbs tragacanth gum for this recipe. These ingredients could not be recognized.
- 1 tablespoon liquid glucose
- 4 tablespoons warm water (or 3 tablespoons warm water plus 1 tbs lemon juice)
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (for later use)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix the gum-tex with 3 cups powdered sugar.
- Make a shallow well in the center and set aside.
- Mix the water and glucose in a glass measuring cup until well blended; heat in a microwave on High for 30 seconds (mixture should be clear).
- Pour into the well of powdered sugar and mix until well blended (mixture will be soft).
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and then seal in a plastic zipper bag; let sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
- Knead the remaining powdered sugar into the paste when you are ready to use it.
- The gum paste will soften as you work it.