Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Classic Austrian recipe served at the Rotosserie Coq D'Or in Vienna, Austria. I believe it is probably a form of Hungarian Goulash since Austria used to rule Hungary a while ago. From a clipping out of my grandmothers recipe box.
- 3 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- Chop onions and fry in butter until golden.
- Add beef and paprika and brown slightly.
- Add marjoram, garlic, caraway, lemon zest and stock. Season to taste with salt.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours, then add potato cubes and cook 1/2 hour more.