Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another recipe from my BF's mother. She uses SPlenda instead of regular sugar (she's a diabetic) and I promise you, there was NO difference in taste--you'd never know the sugar was substituted. The icing can also adapted for diabetics-Absolutely moist and delicious!!!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute (sugar substitute for diabetics)
- 3 eggs
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- DIRECTIONS FOR CAKE: mix all dry ingredients.
- beat oil, eggs, and sugar until well blended.
- Mix with dry ingredients.
- Add pineapple and nuts.
- Divide batter into 2 cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- DIRECTIONS FOR ICING: Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Ice each cake to make a double layer carrot cake, or to serve as two individual cakes.
I emailed Splenda about powdered sugar, and they sent me the following: Splenda is great for cooking and baking by replacing granulated sugar. We have had a consumer contact us at our Consumer Center informing us of this conbination: 75% Splenda granular 25% Cornstarch Combine in blender to create a confectioners sugar I have not tried this yet, but will do so using this recipe. Thanks!
This was a very good carrot cake, my dad loved it! It did take some time, but was well worth it, I normally dont like carrot cakes but I did have a few slices of this one ;)!