Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Source: The Gullah House Restaurant, St. Helena Island, South Carolina.
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs unpeeled medium raw shrimp
- 3 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits, uncooked
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain well; rinse with cold water. Peel and devein shrimp; set aside.
- Bring 3 1/4 cup water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in grits.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine eggs and milk; gradually stir into grits.
- Stir in shrimp, garlic and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
The best shrimp and grits recipe I've found so far!I baked it at 325 instead of 350 to keep the shrimp more tender. Excellent recipe~ thanks for sharing!