Gulf Shrimp of Three Peppers
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp or 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, steamed with old bay seasoning
- 1 -2 zucchini, peeled and cut into matchsticks,parboiled
- 2 small ripe avocados
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- red onion, cut into thin rings,for garnish
- red pepper, chopped,for garnish
- green pepper, chopped,for garnish
- yellow pepper, chopped,for garnish
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 medium basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow bell peppers
- ---To Make The Dressing---.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in enough oil to start an emulsion, then alternate oil and vinegar until all is mixed in.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk slowly to combine.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- ---To Prepare The Zucchini---.
- Place the zucchini matchsticks in a basket or sieve and submerge in boiling water for about 15 seconds.
- Remove the basket and immediately plunge into ice-cold water to prevent the internal temperature from cooking the zucchini any further.
- Drain the zucchini and drizzle with a spoonful of the dressing refrigerate.
- ---To Put It All Together---.
- Peel and de-vein the steamed shrimp, leaving tails on.
- Toss the lettuce with just enough dressing to coat lightly.
- Arrange the lettuce in the center of small plates and top with zucchini.
- Circle 4 to 6 shrimp around the edge of the lettuce and place avocado slices between the shrimp.
- Top with red onion ring slices and a scattering of chopped peppers.
- Pass additional dressing at the table.