I love this recipe because it cooks in the oven leaving more room on the stovetop or it can cook along with your enchiladas! From Rick Bayless.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (I like the meatier texture of medium-grain rice)
- 1 small white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1Turn on the oven to 350 degrees and position a rack in the middle. Set a medium (3 quart) ovenproof saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil, rice and onion. Stir frequently ntil the grains of rice turn from translucent to milky-white, about 5 minutes-for the whitest rice, they shouldn't brown.
- 2Add the garlic and stir a few seconds, until fragrant, then add the chicken broth and 1 teaspoons salt (that's what I usually neeed when using a normally salted broth). Stir a couple of times, then let the mixture come to a full boil.
- 3Cover the pan and set in the middle of the oven. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gulf Coast-Style White Rice Pilaf (Arroz Blanco)
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 222.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g