Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
In 'Bon Appetit, Y'all' by Virginia Willis
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons (or 2 T. canola oil)
- 2 leeks, white and pale green part, well washed, halved horizontally, and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 (8 ounce) containers oysters, drained, juices reserved
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the leeks; saute, stirring often, until they begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir to combine.
- Whisk in the clam juice, milk, cream, and reserved oyster juice.
- Add the potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to low; add in thyme and bay leaf; cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the oysters and simmer, uncovered, until they are heated through and their edges begin to curl, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and bay leaf and discard.
- Add in the sherry and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; serve immediately.