Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite way to fry shrimp! The recipe comes from The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company Cookbook. The secret ingredient is the Spicy French dressing! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 2 lbs unpeeled medium-large size shrimp
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup commercial spicy French dressing
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 2⁄3 cup crushed corn flakes cereal
- 1⁄3 cup white cornmeal
- Peel shrimp, leaving the tails intact; devein.
- Place shrimp in a large shallow bowl.
- Combine eggs, French dressing, lemon juice and onion powder.
- Pour over shrimp, stirring gently to coat.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Pour oil to depth of 2-inches into a dutch oven; heat to 375°F.
- Combine cracker crumbs, crushed cornflakes, and cornmeal.
- Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding marinate.
- Dredge shrimp in cracker mixture and fry a few at a time until golden.
- Drain shrimp on paper towels.
Made half a recipe for the two and us and it is very good. I also used Spicy French Dressing as highcotton suggested. Served with a salad and the dressing.
Just delicious! I couldn't find the commercial dressing either, so I made some -- Recipe #115356 -- and it worked great. And discovering the giant box of corn flakes in the cupboard was completely empty, I used a mixture of flour and cornmeal for the breading. But I added some panko for extra crunch, so I think the texture was probably pretty close to what the recipe calls for. Since we enjoy spicy food, we added some creole seasoning to the coating on the second batch and loved the results. Everyone agreed it was some of the best fried shrimp we'd ever tasted!
I was eating as many as I was frying LOL... Best shrimp I have ever eaten. My DH says I can make these once a week, but the budget says NO! Thanks for sharing Kim!