Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I looked through all the crab cake recipes and was horrified that all of them seemed to have mayo in them. This is a recipe passed down through my family through word of mouth for a long time. The measurings are guesses since we never wrote em down, we just observe and cook till they taste good. Hope yall like em!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb lump backfin crab meat
- 1 red bell peppers (you could use green if you like em) or 1 orange bell pepper, chopped, use 1/2 of one or until it looks like enough (you could use green if you like em)
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Heat oil in skillet and start to saute crab meat, onion, garlic, bell pepper.
- Add lemon.
- Add salt/pepper/ and old bay to taste.
- Cook about 5-6 min or unitl white and opaque and looks done and cooked through.
- If unsure cook another 2 minutes.
- Dump into large bowl and let cool for about 10 minute After cooled crack egg onto it, dont have to beat it, and mix it and bread crumbs into crab mixture.
- It should be wet feeling and able to shape into a patty.
- you should not be able to see very much bread crumbs, but if you think you don't have enough put 1/4 cup more into it.
- Shape into patties, to help hold shape put on cookie sheet and freeze for about 20-30 minute Believe me this works wonders, also helps for stuffed shrimp too, if you wanna pull out some shrimp and stuff em just butterfly em, put on the cookie sheet and freeze, then batter em and fry em after freezing.
- Melt butter. put enough oil in skillet to help cover bottom of pan (oil is so butter won't burn).
- Take out patties from freezer and start frying em up.
- I'm sorry if measurements aren't precise but these are soo easy you really can guess and not mess up on em that badly!
- have fun!