Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on EthnicGrocer.com and fixed for a holiday meal with other German favorites. It was wonderful and hearty on a cold December day, and it was even better the second day. Tastes great with a warm rye bread.
- Heat oil.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, peppers and tomato paste.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beef, caraway seeds, paprika, stock and lemon juice.
- Simmer for about 1 1/4 hours Add potatoes and continue simmering until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Anaemic. Try treble that amount of paprika
When I lived in Berlin I often visited a Czech restaurant (Zolata Praha)for their goulaschsuppe which after trying this receipe I was transported back to Germany!! The only difference: just before serving, the waiter would float a large table spoon of sauerkraut topped with dollop of sour cream on the soup!
It's a good recipe. I had to make it in a crockpot because of stove problems, but I don't think that hurt the outcome. I got compliments and will make it again. I did add more paprika. Thanks for the recipe.