Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Goulash Soup, a German recipe submitted via request.
Make and share this Gulaschsuppe recipe from Food.com.
- 200 g onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 300 g lean stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons vegetable fat
- 1 liter beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- pepper, fresh ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- chopped marjoram
- Tabasco sauce
- Cut peppers in half and remove the stalks, seeds and white ribs.
- Wash and cut into fine stripes.
- Remove the skins of the tomatoes.
- (Placing them in boiling water briefly then immersing into ice water will cause the tomato to blister the skin can be easily removed. You do not want to cook them.) Remove core and cut tomatoes into quarters.
- Rinse beef with cold water and pat dry.
- Cut into small cubes.
- Melt vegetable fat and brown the meat.
- Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and tomato puree and season with salt, pepper, paprika, caraway seeds and marjoram.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- If needed add additional salt, pepper, paprika and Tabasco sauce to taste.
What a wonderfully rich soup for a cold Midwest January supper! I made this in the crockpot for ease. I browned my beef in a skillet and deglazed the pan with 1/3 cup red wine. Threw everything into the crockpot and the whole house smelled wonderful all afternoon! I thickened the soup with some corn starch mixed in water and served it over cheesy polenta. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed this, thanks so much for sharing!
The epitome of comfort food! Rich, tender, and delicious, and full of fresh veggies! I can't say enough good things about this dish. The only thing I would change would be to slow cook the beef and broth to maximize tenderness. Thanks for sharing this delicious German dish!