This is the first peppery dish I made for my wife, and she really likes it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp
- 3 kirby cucumbers or 1 1/2 regular cucumbers
- 10 medium shallots or 1 large onion
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 -4 whole dried hot red chilies
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups thick coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk, with coconut below mixed in
- 3/4-1 cup finely grated unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1Peel and devein the shrimp; wash them and pat them dry.
- 2Peel the cucumber and cut it crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- 3Peel 7 of the shallots and chop them very finely; peel and finely slice the remaining shallots.
- 4Peel the garlic cloves; chop 4 of them very finely and cut the other 2 into fine slivers.
- 5Combine the sliced shallots and slivered garlic and set these aside.
- 6In a medium-sized pan combine the chopped shallots, chopped garlic, ground coriander, ground fennel (if you cannot get ground fennel seeds, simply grind whole seeds in a clean coffee grinder or food processor), white pepper, ground cumin, turmeric and 2 1/2 cups water.
- 7Crumble in the red chilies; if you like mild to medium spicy food, you might consider leaving the chilies whole instead: this is what I did for my wife, who cannot easy as spicy food as I can, and she said it was perfect for her tastes.
- 8Stir and bring to a boil; boil, uncovered, on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 9Add the cucumber rounds, stir and bring to a simmer; cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- 10Then add the shrimp, salt and sugar; bring to a simmer again and simmer gently for about 1 minute, stirring the shrimps around in the sauce.
- 11Give the coconut milk a good stir and pour it in.
- 12Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute, stirring now and then.
- 13Put the oil in a very small pan or small frying pan and set it over a medium-high heat; when the oil is hot, put in the slivered shallots and garlic.
- 14Stir and fry until they turn a golden color.
- 15Add the whole fennel seeds; stir once and quickly pour the contents of the pan (oil and sesasoning) into the pan containing the curry.
- 16Cover the curry pan immediately to trap all the aromas.
- 17Serve with rice and enjoy.
- 18Serves 4-6.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gulai Labu - Spicy Shrimp and Cucumber Curry
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.5
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 944.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 16.6 g