Recipe by Nurturing
My friend Jigna who is from Gujarati taught me this tasty recipe.. I hope you enjoy this as I did... Goes well with rice...
Top Review by Cathy-O
This is my favorite gujarati dish. I got it from my gujarati hairdresser Jocena in Toronto, Canada and have been making it off and on over the years. I am so happy to see it on Zaar. It is delicious each on its own, like a spicy indian soup... and as you say great with rice.
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger and green chili paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pure ghee
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 -2 clove
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 7 -8 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon jaggery (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together besan (gram flour) and yogurt thoroughly. Add 4 cups water and mix again. Peel, wash and cut radish into small dices. Wash, dry and cut ladyfingers into half. Grate jaggery. Now combine yogurt mixture, vegetables, jaggery and green chilies. Cook until mixture returns to medium thick consistency stirring all the time. Adjust salt. Heat oil, add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafetida powder. When the seeds crackle add it to kadhi, mix well. Serve hot.