Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from a collection of different Asian recipes of which I copied some several years ago. Cooking time includes cooling time of 35 minutes.
- Shred carrots and place in a bowl, set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet on medium heat until hot, pour in mustard and cumin seeds. Cover wok or skillet because they splutter and might pop into your face!
- As soon as the spluttering stops and they become fragrant, remove wok or skillet from stove, add sugar, salt, chili pepper and tumeric, stir until you get a smooth paste.
- Cool about 5 minutes.
- Stir warm spice paste into carrots, add lime juice and mix well.
- Chill for about 30 minutes before serving, then mix well again and serve.
Mmmmm, this is definitely a keeper! The flavor of the toasted seeds really shines through, and the lime gives it that extra "pop" of flavor. This was an excellent salad, served as a side with curry for ZWT8 - India. Very simple to make and very, very unusual. Thanks for posting, Mia!
Different from most of the Indian food we make, but we liked it. I used less salt for our tastes.
Great and easy salad to make and to taste! I used regular mustard seeds as black ones are difficult to find in Maine. Thanks, Mia!