A meat and vegetable stew from Argentina including traditional ingredients of sweet potatoes, squash and peaches or apricots. Serve this with a good crusty bread and a good Argentinean red wine. Found on About.com's website and posted for ZWT 4 - South/Central America.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 lbs veal, cubed, can also use meat of your choice
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb squash, cubed
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 corn on the cob, cut from the ear
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 15 ounces peaches, can also use apricots
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 32 ounces beef broth
- fresh parsley or basil (to garnish)
- In a large skillet heat the oil and butter. Add the onions and garlic, saute until browned.
- Add the cubed meat to the mixture and brown well on all sides. Stir in the tomatoes, carrots and beef broth to cover the meat. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Uncover skillet, add the potatoes, squash, and corn cooking over low heat until vegetables are almost fork tender. Stir in fruit and rice, cook until rice is tender. Check seasonings and garnish with parsley or basil. Serve immediately.