Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a mexican cooking website. This is an authentic recipe!
Res en Salsa de Jitomate
- 3 -4 lbs thinly sliced flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 large white onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can corn
- 1 (6 ounce) can mixed vegetables
- 5 jalapeno peppers
- 3 plum tomatoes
- Cut the sliced flank steak into small pieces about the size of postage stamps.
- Set steak pieces to simmer in vegetable oil over medium-low heat while preparing vegetables.
- Dice the potatoes into small cubes and place them in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave the potatoes 2-3 minutes on high until almost done.
- Add the potatoes to the meat.
- Add 1 cup fresh cilantro to the meat.
- In a blender or food processor, add 1/2 large white onion, 3 cloves garlic, and coriander seeds. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water and puree.
- Add this mixture to the meat along with 2 cups of tomato puree.
- Add the small can of corn and mixed vegetables to the meat mixture. Add additional water to thin the broth to a soup-like consistency.
- Now prepare the jalapeno salsa to be served on the side.
- Place 5 jalapenos and 3 plum tomatoes on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to broil and broil, turning, until blackened.
- Remove the blackened skins and using a mortar and pestle, grind the chiles and tomatoes together along with 2 cloves of garlic.
- Serve with rice and beans and enjoy!