This is a simple but very filling Spanish potato and sausage stew. The chorizo and paprika give this a lovely smokey flavour, so for the best results you'll want to search out those two ingredients. Otherwise, you could add in any number of vegetables. Try corn, carrots or green peppers. The kind of chorizo to use in this dish is the raw pork sausage, not the variety that is more like a deli meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large potatoes, chopped (peeled if desired)
- 250 g spanish chorizo sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons spanish paprika
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1Briefly sauté the onions and mushrooms in olive oil.
- 2Add the garlic, potatoes and chorizo and sauté until the potatoes are browned slightly but not so much that the garlic starts to burn.
- 3Add the paprika, chicken broth, black pepper, and bay leaves.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until the potatoes are soft, between 20-30 minutes.
- 5Add more chicken stock if necessary.
- 6About five minutes before the stew is done, you may want to skim off some of the fat that will have risen to the top as the chiorzo cooked.
- 7When you are done, stir in the basil.
- 8Once the potatoes are cooked, if the stew is too thin just make a paste of cornstarch and water and stir rapidly into the stew.
- 9It will thicken up after just a couple minutes over the heat.
- 10Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guisado De Chorizo y Papas
Serving Size: 1 (733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 905.2
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 2329.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 38.0 g