1 hr 30 mins
Guinness is my favorite beer - I can't wait to try this cake. Be sure to use a dark beer if you don't care for Guinness as a light beer will make the recipe taste different. Recipe Source Relish Mag
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup Guinness stout
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup Guinness stout (measured after foam has subsided)
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly, warmed
- bittersweet icing (See recipe)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1To prepare syrup, combine all ingredients in a small, heavy saucepan, whisking until smooth. Heat over medium heat, until sugar dissolves and syrup is smooth.
- 2To prepare cake, pour stout over currants; cover and soak until plump.
- 3Drain currants, reserving stout. Add stout to a small saucepan. Whisk in 1/3 cup cocoa and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; add semisweet chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Cool slightly. Stir in buttermilk.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F
- 5Combine 2 tablespoons cocoa, 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons flour. Coat two 8- or 9-inch square or round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with cocoa mixture.
- 6Beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 1/4 cups sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- 7Combine 2 cups flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, stirring until blended. (Batter may look curdled.) Stir in currants.
- 8Divide batter between pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; invert onto rack.
- 9Poke tops of cake layers with a skewer or toothpick. Spoon Drizzling Syrup over tops. Place one layer on a platter. Spread warmed jelly over layer on the platter. Chill 30 minutes. Cover jelly with about a quarter of the Bittersweet Icing. Place second layer on top.
- 10Ice top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing. Press nuts into sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness Stout Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.2
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 264.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g