Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Gramercy Tavern, New York City
Make and share this Guinness Stout Ginger Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, line the bottom and sides with parchment, and grease the parchment; alternatively, butter and flour a 6-cup Bundt pan.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stout and molasses and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the baking soda.
- Allow to sit until the foam dissipates.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars; whisk in the oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, the ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
- Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk the liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time.
- Add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1-hour, or until the top springs back when gently pressed; do not open the oven until the gingerbread is almost done or the center will fall slightly.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.