1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from Gramercy Tavern, New York City
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, line the bottom and sides with parchment, and grease the parchment; alternatively, butter and flour a 6-cup Bundt pan.
- 3In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stout and molasses and bring to a boil.
- 4Turn off the heat and add the baking soda.
- 5Allow to sit until the foam dissipates.
- 6Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars; whisk in the oil.
- 7In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, the ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
- 8Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk the liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time.
- 9Add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
- 10Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1-hour, or until the top springs back when gently pressed; do not open the oven until the gingerbread is almost done or the center will fall slightly.
- 11Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness Stout Ginger Cake
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.4
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 79.3 mg
- Sodium 209.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 49.4 g
- Protein 7.3 g