Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from my girlfriend. She swears, this is the only recipe you will ever need. The addition of the semi-sweet chocolate chips mellows out the bitterness of the beer. Serve with some crusty bread & salad and you're golden! I have successfully halved the recipe. I add halved white button mushrooms the last hour. Cooking time depends on your crock pot setting: LOW= 8-10 hours, HIGH= 4-5 hours.
- 907.18 g beef stew meat, chunks
- 118.29 ml flour, divided in half
- 1 yellow onion, large, rough chop
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml olive oil, divided in half
- 311.84 g Guinness stout, no substitutions
- 354.88 ml beef stock
- 29.58 ml demi-glace, gold (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml dried thyme, sub. 2 springs fresh
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 29.58 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 680.38 g boiling potatoes, ie. red, yukon gold, fingerling
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cubed
- 170.09 g baby carrots, left whole
- flat leaf parsley, chopped for serving
- In a large ziplock bag, mix 1/4 cup of flour with salt, pepper. Add the beef, toss to coat.
- Heat 1/2 oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add beef. Do not crowd the skillet. Brown in batches about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- After all the meat cubes are browned, add remaining oil and flour. Cook for a a couple minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. A flour paste will form.
- Add 1/2 bottle of Guinness to the flour, to make a roux. Whisk to bring up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add all the veggies to the crock pot. Add the roux, stir to coat.
- Add the meat, remaining Guinness, beef stock, chocolate chips, Demi-glace if using,.
- Cover and slow cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- If your gravy is too thin, remove the lid and cook on high for 20 minutes. If too thick, add some water or stock/broth. Check seasonings > salt & pepper, add as needed.
- Top with parsley and serve.