4 hrs 40 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
I got this recipe from my girlfriend. She swears, this is the only recipe you will ever need. The addition of the semi-sweet chocolate chips mellows out the bitterness of the beer. Serve with some crusty bread & salad and you're golden! I have successfully halved the recipe. I add halved white button mushrooms the last hour. Cooking time depends on your crock pot setting: LOW= 8-10 hours, HIGH= 4-5 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, chunks
- 1/2 cup flour, divided in half
- 1 yellow onion, large, rough chop
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided in half
- 11 ounces Guinness stout, no substitutions
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons demi-glace, gold (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, sub. 2 springs fresh
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 lbs boiling potatoes, ie. red, yukon gold, fingerling
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cubed
- 6 ounces baby carrots, left whole
- flat leaf parsley, chopped for serving
- 1In a large ziplock bag, mix 1/4 cup of flour with salt, pepper. Add the beef, toss to coat.
- 2Heat 1/2 oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add beef. Do not crowd the skillet. Brown in batches about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- 3After all the meat cubes are browned, add remaining oil and flour. Cook for a a couple minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. A flour paste will form.
- 4Add 1/2 bottle of Guinness to the flour, to make a roux. Whisk to bring up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- 5Add all the veggies to the crock pot. Add the roux, stir to coat.
- 6Add the meat, remaining Guinness, beef stock, chocolate chips, Demi-glace if using,.
- 7Cover and slow cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- 8If your gravy is too thin, remove the lid and cook on high for 20 minutes. If too thick, add some water or stock/broth. Check seasonings > salt & pepper, add as needed.
- 9Top with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness Stout Beef Stew - Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (792 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 833.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 40.5 g