Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a variation of my boyfriend's mom's recipe, done in the pressure cooker. Ready in about an hour, delicious and makes great leftovers for lunch the next day, or can be frozen for a quick and comforting supper on a chilly day.
- 3 -4 lbs boneless cross-rib roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 -5 cups mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 (440 ml) canguinness beer (or other very dark beer)
- Cook bacon, drain and chop coarsely, set aside.
- Heat oil in bottom of cooker and brown beef in batches, set aside.
- Melt butter in cooker, add onions and mushrooms. Cook until liquid is evaporated (10 to 15 min) Stir in tomato paste, whisk in Guinness, mustard and salt and pepper.
- One tablespoon at a time, add flour until desired consistency.
- Add beef and bacon back to cooker, on med - high heat, get the rocker rocking loudly, reduce heat to med - low and let rock gently for 30 - 40 minute.
- If you don't want your beef to absolutely fall apart in your mouth, reduce the cooking time by about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run pressure cooker under cold water to release pressure quickly and enjoy!