3 hrs 30 mins
Jason Heyd's Note:
Closest thing I've found to the real deal that my wife and I had on our honeymoon in Ireland. :) Recipe courtesy of Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. See www.foodnetwork.com for the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 cups Guinness stout
- 2 cups largely diced carrots
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, and cut into 2-inch cubes.
- 2Toss beef with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- 3In a small bowl, season the flour with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 4Toss meat with seasoned flour.
- 5Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- 6Brown the meat on all sides.
- 7Reduce the heat, add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the skillet, cover, and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- 8Transfer the contents of the skillet to a casserole and pour half of the Guinness into the skillet.
- 9Bring Guinness to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.
- 10Pour over the meat, along with the remaining Guinness.
- 11Add the carrots and thyme.
- 12Stir and adjust seasonings.
- 13Cover the casserole and simmer over low heat, or in a 300 degree F oven until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- 14Garnish the beef with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness Stew
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 838.0
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 266.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 55.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: