Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I tweaked a couple of recipes I saw on this site because I didn't have some of the ingredients in my cupboard. So, I added a tin of cream of mushroom/onion soup and more herbs. This recipe is thick. You'll need to use a deep casserole dish. I used my white corningware dish (approx. 4" deep). If you're looking for a "stew" consistency just add more beer and water. This should easily feed 6, but we're feeding 3 growing teenagers. Every last morsel was hungrily consumed in no time.
- 2 -3 lbs stewing beef (I used the family size pkg. from walmart)
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup mushroom (either cut up reg. or small whole button mushrooms)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 (440 ml) can Guinness stout
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, with onion (do not add water)
- 1 (8 ounce) package puff pastry
- In a large bowl toss stewing beef with flour, salt & pepper. In large skillet heat oil and brown beef, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place beef and all ingredients except mushroom soup in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for approximately 5-6 hours.
- Turn off the cooker and pour in condensed soup, thoroughly mix.
- Set oven to 350F deg.
- Roll out enough puff pastry to cover your dish.
- Spray your casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon stew mixture into casserole and cover completely with puff pastry.
- Place dish on foil covered cookie sheet and bake until pastry is "puffed up" and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes to set and serve with your fav. veggie/side salad.
This is a very delicious filling if you make a couple changes: (1) After cooking the filling, discard it's liquid; (2) Mix one-half jar of beef gravy with 2.5 tsp. brown sugar; (3) Mix it with the filling. This recipe gets the credit for the flavor complexity it provided.