Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Haven't tried this but it sounds interesting. A fruitcake of sorts made with a wee bit of Irish Guinness. Posted for the British/Irish section of the tour.
- 1 lb all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces raisins or 8 ounces currants
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened Irish Butter
- 3 eggs
- 4 ounces mixed peel (the type for fruitcake)
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ounces almonds, finely chopped
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Sieve Flour, baking soda & spices into a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat.
- Fold in Flour Mixture, raisins, Mixed peel, Almonds and Mixed Fruit.
- Add Guinness & Mix well.
- Turn in to a greased and floured 8 inch round cake pan or 8x8 square pan.
- Bake in the center of oven ( 300°F) for 120 minutes, checking cake at intervals after 90 minutes; cover if neccessary to prevent overbrowning.
- It's done when a wooden pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cake cool a little in pan then turn onto a wire rack.