3 hrs 30 mins
Karmology Clinic's Note:
This is a perfect combination of tastes. Don't be afraid of the salt and the salted almonds used in the recipe. A bit of salt helps to enhance the chocolate flavor. The recipe (without the almonds) is from the book "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz. The passive work time is about waiting to chill and freeze. I don't include the time your ice cream maker needs to make the ice cream, as this depends on your machine, but it shouldn't be more than 40 minutes. I also don't include ice cream maker freezing preparation time (if you have a non-electric one).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top. The mesh strainer will retain any piece of custard, in case you overcook it.
- 2Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- 3In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- 4Slowly pour the warm (not boiled) mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- 5Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula evenly (if you have a thermometer it should read between 170F and 175F). Don't let it boil!
- 6Pour the custard through the strainer over the milkchocolate, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cream, then the Guinness and vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath if you want, or let it cool before you put it in the refrigerator.
- 7Chill the mixture thoroughly on the refrigerator. I consider this the most important part, because the custard must be very cold when we put it in the ice cream machine. I usually put the bowl in the freezer for ten minutes before putting it in the ice cream maker.
- 8Freeze in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturer's instructions. Just before the ice cream is ready, add the chopped almonds. Freeze well. Let 5-10 minutes outside the refrigerator before serving.
- 9If you insist on not using an ice cream maker, well, I can't guarantee success and you'll need lots of luck.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream With Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (3093 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4185.4
- Calories from Fat 2041
- Total Fat 226.8 g
- Saturated Fat 106.8 g
- Cholesterol 1133.9 mg
- Sodium 629.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 337.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.0 g
- Sugars 220.7 g
- Protein 70.1 g