Recipe by DrGaellon
The ultimate St. Patrick's Day dessert. Prep time includes time for cooling in step 2. Adapted from a recipe at http://tinyurl.com/ao6avy
Top Review by cooking_neko83
A very festive recipe that is also tasty to have any time of the year. The recipe was very easy to follow and produced moist cupcakes. When making the frosting: please, please sift the powdered sugar when adding it to the butter! That way you won't get lumps like I did. I also didn't use as much of the sugar as called for. Excellent recipe!
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml Guinness stout
- 158.51 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar
- 4.92 ml table salt
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml white sugar
- 6.16 ml baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 946.36 ml confectioners' sugar
- 0.25 ml table salt
- 44.37 ml irish cream (Bailey's or Carolan's)
- 14.79 ml milk
- green sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 24-30 cupcake cups, or fill with paper liners.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter, Guinness, cocoa and brown sugar, whisking often, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Into the work bowl of a stand mixer (or into a large mixing bowl), sift together salt, flour, white sugar and baking soda. Add the cooled Guinness mixture and beat on medium for 1 minute. Add eggs and sour cream and beat on medium for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the cupcake cups. Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then remove and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile, in (cleaned) work bowl of stand mixer, cream butter until very light and fluffy. Add salt, and slowly add confectioners sugar. Do not run the mixer above low, or the sugar will spray all over your kitchen. Add a couple of spoonsful at a time until it has all been absorbed into the butter. Add Bailey's and milk until spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Frost cupcakes with Bailey's frosting. Sprinkle with green jimmies.