Recipe by Mille®
Beer - it's not just for drinking any more!
Top Review by Amber Dawn
I had some trouble with the icing as well. Took Sharlene's advice and used some cream to get the right consistency. Overall, the cake turned out nicely. I had some mixed reviews... my guy friends loved it and my girlfriends thought it was too bitter.
- 113.39 g unsalted butter
- 283.49 g dark brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 170.09 g plain flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 7 fluid ounce Guinness stout (or other Irish stout)
- 56.69 g cocoa powder
- 113.39 g chocolate
- 29.58 ml Guinness stout
- 56.69 g butter
- 113.39 g icing sugar, sifted
- 28.34 g walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the cake-----------.
- Grease and line two 8-inch cake pans, and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl.
- Stir Guinness into cocoa.
- Carefully fold in alternate quantities of flour and cocoa to butter/sugar mixture.
- Spread mixture into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out.
- To make the icing---------.
- Melt chocolate with Guinness, and then beat in butter and leave to cool a little before beating in icing sugar.
- Remove ¼ of icing and stir in chopped walnuts.
- When icing has cooled to a spreadable consistency, sandwich cake with walnut icing and use rest for top and sides.
- Decorate with walnut halves and grated chocolate.