Recipe by Dee514
This recipe is from the Guinness Storehouse, St. James Gate, Dublin, Ireland This recipe calls for "Guinness Draught," please do NOT use Guinness Extra Stout or Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in this recipe. Do not use "instant oatmeal" "Old Fashioned" (or quick cooking) oatmeal works best.
- 600 g whole meal flour
- 150 g plain flour
- 75 g oatmeal
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 480 ml whole milk (please use whole milk, not reduced fat or skim milk)
- 200 ml black treacle
- 1⁄2 pint Guinness draught (please do NOT use Extra Stout or Foreign Extra Stout in this recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and the butter until the dough is the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk, black treacle, and Guinness Draught, mixing until you get a wet dough.
- Place dough in a greased bread tin, and bake in a preheated (170C/338F) oven for 40-45 minutes.