Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A family favourite. The Guiness mellows during the cooking to produce a yummy gravy. I do like Queen Dragon Mum's idea of adding the molasses if you don't like prunes as that takes the edge off the Guiness too.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 450 g lean rump steak, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 375 ml water
- 40 g plain flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 150 ml Guinness stout
- 100 g pitted prunes
- Pre heat your oven to 180c.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the beef all over.
- Remove the beef to an oven proof casserole dish.
- Add the garlic and onions to the frypan and cook'til the onion is soft.
- Add the sugar and stir until caramelised.
- Remove to the casserole dish.
- Add the carrots and bay leaf to the casserole too.
- Dissolve the stock cubes and flour in the water and add to the frypan with the Guinness.
- Heat until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Pour over the meat in the casserole and stir to combine.
- Cover the casserole, and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Add the prunes and cook for a further 30 minutes.
This was excellent! The smell as it cooked was wonderful and it tasted even better than it smelled. We served this as our main dish for St. Patrick's Day, but we will make this often - not just for holidays. This was the most delicious beef stew I've ever tasted - and plan to serve this again in a few weeks for company. I think the secret ingredients were the Guinness Stout and the prunes - don't be tempted to substitute either ingredient. Perfect!
This recipe was bloody yummy to say the least! It awakened alot of taste sensations. It was great. Well done.
A truly great recipe. Sorry but I did not have a single prune in our house.We do not seem to have a use for them yet, but I did have dried cranberries and I put them in also 6 white skinned potatoes.I also made spoon dumplings and added them in the oven the last 30min.We will serve this stew over and over again .Sharron cant chef in the house