Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Beer - it's not just for drinking any more!
- 1 lb onion, peeled and sliced into big fat rings
- 4 ounces self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 5 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- oil or melted fat, to deep fry
- Sift the flour and garlic powder into a bowl.
- Beat to a smooth batter with unbeaten egg, butter and Guinness.
- Dredge the onion rings in the batter to coat them and place them, a few at a time, in a frying basket and fry in hot oil or fat (350°F/180°C) for about a minute or two until the batter is golden brown.
These were awesome. We really enjoyed them but had a hard time with them sticking together. If they weren't stuck together they would get all five stars for sure!
These had a wonderful "pub" flavor and the batter stuck perfectly to the onion rings. Fabulous! Thank you for posting. ~Sue